As the Many Paths to Tread archive continues to grow, I am looking for someone to assist me as webmaster of the site. If you think you might be interested, please read the requirements of the position below, then email me at DawnFelagund@gmail.com
with your relevant experiences with managing websites or working with creative communities. If you have any questions, please also email me.Minimum Requirements
1. At a minimum, you should have basic HTML knowledge (text formatting, paragraphs, headings, lists, images, and links) to convert Word documents to HTML for posting to the website.
2. You should be available to check your email and the MPTT site daily. (Clearly, our mods and admins take time off but it's important that we communicate this with each other--see #3.)
3. You should be willing to communicate with me and the other mods/admins in order to ensure that the site is efficiently and professionally run.
4. Weekly time commitment varies. Many weeks, site maintenance will require less than an hour of your time per week. During events or emergencies (like the recent spam attack), you should expect to put in more time. You will work with me and the other site mods/admins to divide up responsibilities, but you should be willing to take on your share and step up during emergencies. If you expect to be unavailable for a time, you should communicate that to me and the other admins, but you should be dependable and consistently available for much of the year.
5. Ideally, you should have experience working with eFiction as an administrator and uploading files using CPanel. At a minimum, you should have an openness to learning more about HTML, CSS, eFiction, CPanel, and other tools as needed to manage the site. You will need to become very comfortable working with eFiction as both a user and an administrator.Responsibilities
1. Checking the site daily to monitor new registrations, identify and correct misdirected chapters/stories, and monitor for spam or suspicious activity.
2. Checking the site daily for new character requests, contacting authors who have requested new characters, and updating the character list and story accordingly.
3. Responding to email inquiries from site users concerning issues such as lost passwords, problems posting stories or comments, or questions about how to use the archive tools, and assisting non-tech administrators with using the eFiction admin panel to perform tasks.
4. Backing up the database and performing routine site maintenance at least monthly.
5. Assisting as needed with special projects or emergencies, such as posting News announcements, uploading and posting banners, and managing spam.Final Words
You will be working side-by-side with me to share the responsibilities above. You will not
be expected to handle member complaints, make decisions on member conduct or rule violations, perform software updates, investigate bug reports, research or implement bug fixes, modify the eFiction software, adjust site settings, design site skins/layouts, or work directly with the MySQL database, unless you want
to be involved with those tasks. Although I would appreciate any assistance you care to offer, I expect to continue handling those issues.
While you should have the minimum requirements, you do not necessarily need to have experience running an archive website. If you're interested in learning more about running a website, this would be a good position for you, as long as you're willing to put in the time to learn to manage the site
. I am willing to teach you what you need to know, including eFiction, more advanced HTML, and CSS. If you have those skills already, that's obviously a plus, but more important is a willingness to learn and contribute to the management of our awesome and growing archive.
Again, if you're interested, or if you have any questions, please email me at DawnFelagund@gmail.com